Merger appeal court date set
COUNCILS opposed to the local government reform process will have their day in court on November 25.
Lawyer representing the councils, John Hammond, said he was pleased at how quickly the case had been listed with the Supreme Court.
Subiaco, South Perth and Serpentine-Jarrahdale councils, along with City of Vincent resident Ian Ker, claim the State Government breached laws that allow residents to vote on proposed mergers and that the Local Government Advisory Board, which is responsible for recommending new borders, had conflicts of interest.
Last week, the board sent the first of its recommendations to Local Government Minister Tony Simpson. A second set of reports about Melville, Canning, Gosnells, Fremantle, East Fremantle, Kwinana and Cockburn councils are due to be sent soon.
All will be considered by Mr Simpson and Cabinet before an expected announcement by the end of this month. The councils anticipate a decision on their case could be made by January or February.
Claremont Mayor Jock Barker said Mr Simpson should hold off on any announcements while the case was before the court.
“If not, the Government could look like complete fools before the Supreme Court makes a decision,” Mr Barker said.
A spokeswoman for Mr Simpson said a date for an announcement had not yet been set.