Legal battle to continue
SOUTH Perth, Subiaco and Serpentine-Jaradale councils, with Vincent resident Ian Ker, will continue to challenge the local government merger process in the Supreme Court on November 25, despite a State Government announcement of new borders last week.
After the court date was set in September, the councils offered several times to withdraw the action if residents were given a vote on the proposed changes, offers rejected by the government.
South Perth chief executive Cliff Frewing said the lack of funding for the process forced the City to take legal action.
“We had four conditions in our proposal: that we participate in an amalgamation; that we retain the whole Burswood peninsula; that we receive the northern part of the City of Canning; and also that there was an adequate level of funding to finance the reform program,” he said. “The funding offered by the government falls a long way short and it is only a fraction of what is needed.”
Lawyer for the councils, John Hammond, said: “The action stands on it's own and is essentially a challenge to the way the State Government has sought to force amalgamations.”