Southern Gazette (South Perth) - - Street Watch -

SO, you have been bur­gled…. What to do next? The most im­por­tant thing is to con­tact the po­lice and re­port the mat­ter im­me­di­ately. Not the next day or a few days later. It is amaz­ing the num­ber of peo­ple who can't be both­ered to re­port the bur­glary to po­lice. It is worth not­ing that if you are cov­ered by in­sur­ance, the in­sur­ance com­pany will re­quire a po­lice re­port num­ber, so the po­lice must be no­ti­fied. Once po­lice have been con­tacted, while it may be tempt­ing to tidy up the house or busi­ness or search for items that you be­lieve may be miss­ing, don't. Po­lice will at­tend and want to con­duct a foren­sic ex­am­i­na­tion of the premises. The more of the scene you dis­turb, the smaller the chance of a foren­sic hit that may as­sist in iden­ti­fy­ing a bad­die and re­cov­er­ing your prop­erty. If you saw the per­son (ei­ther in per­son or on that se­cu­rity sys­tem), try to re­mem­ber any in­for­ma­tion about them in­clud­ing, sex, age, race, cloth­ing, di­rec­tion of travel, ve­hi­cle type/colour/reg­is­tra­tion. If you do come up with any new in­for­ma­tion re­gard­ing the crime com­mit­ted, take it to the po­lice. Don't try to ap­proach the crim­i­nal or re­cover your prop­erty your­self, this may com­pli­cate the case, de­lay your in­sur­ance claim or, even worse, leave your­self on the wrong end of your own crim­i­nal charges. As tempt­ing as it may be to solve the case your­self, leave it to the pro­fes­sion­als.

– De­tec­tive Sergeant Gary Th­waites

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.