Ana Gowrea’s top tips for healthy eating
1. Rethink your sugary drinks. Don’t drink your calories. There are about 16 teaspoons of sugar in a 600ml bottle of regular soft drink. Drink water instead.
2. Focus on reducing the added or refined sugar in what you eat. Many foods labelled as “low-fat” substitute the fat with sugar.
3. For a sugar fix, eat seasonal fruit, dried fruit or wholegrain cereals.
4. Enjoy foods that truly nourish you – mind, body and soul. Go for whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, wholegrain cereals, lean meats, nuts and dairy. These are usually unprocessed and unpackaged.
5. Visit LiveLighter.com.au for recipe ideas and ways to reduce your health risk through healthy eating.
6. Look out for local programs that will help you choose the healthy food options every day.
7. Avoid fad diets. They are restrictive and limiting. Healthy food is for life. Enjoy a variety of nutritious foods. Not one single food is going to cure everything.
Dietician Ana Gowrea says people need to think more about their food choices.