Tigers feast on flag spoils

Southern Telegraph - - Sport - Ai­den Boy­ham

The Peel Foot­ball League’s 2017 sea­son came to a close on Satur­day, with league, re­serves and colts teams all fac­ing off in grand fi­nals at Rush­ton Park in Man­durah.

In the league fi­nal it was the Pin­jarra Tigers who were crowned pre­miers af­ter they com­fort­ably de­feated the Wa­roona Demons 12.12 (96) to 8.7 (55).

Pin­jarra were favourites head­ing into the big game af­ter fin­ish­ing the home and away sea­son as mi­nor pre­miers, but Wa­roona came into the game in red-hot form af­ter beat­ing the South Man­durah Fal­cons, Mundi­jong Cen­trals and the Bal­divis Brumbies.

With the game evenly poised af­ter a close first term, Pin­jarra blew the game wide open in the sec­ond quar­ter, boot­ing five goals to Wa­roona’s one, giv­ing them a healthy 30-point lead at the main break.

Wa­roona found more mo­men­tum in the third term and matched Pin­jarra as they kicked four goals each but the dam­age done in the sec­ond quar­ter proved fa­tal as they still trailed by five goals at three­quar­ter-time.

The Tigers were sim­ply too good in the end, run­ning home 41-point win­ners be­fore the cham­pagne flowed and celebrations be­gan.

Ro­han Kerr played a star­ring role for Pin­jarra and Jef­frey Carter booted four goals. Joel O’Driscoll kicked three goals, while Mitch Brown, Brennan Gil­lam and Todd Ninyette kicked two goals each.

Ben­jamin Wright, Steven Cameron, David Butler, Alan Wil­son and 250th-gamer Court­ney Lakay were the stand-outs for Wa­roona. In the re­serves grand fi­nal, Baldi-

vis thumped South Man­durah 11.9 (75) to 1.7 (13) to win eas­ily by 62 points.

The Brumbies were sim­ply too good from the first bounce, keep­ing the Fal­cons goal­less in the first half as they ran out to a com­mand­ing 42-point lead at half-time.

South Man­durah were un­able to hit the score­board at all in the third quar­ter as Bal­divis con­tin­ued to build their lead, with the Fal­cons fi­nally kick­ing a goal early in the fourth quar­ter.

The colts grand fi­nal, in which South Man­durah beat 10.11 (71) the Rock­ing­ham Rams 10.11 (71) to 9.9 (63) was the most thrilling of the day, with a five-goal haul from Fal­cons young­ster Lach­lan Cullen prov­ing vi­tal in the eight-point win.

In a game that ebbed and flowed, South Man­durah held a slim lead at each break, with a gutsy ef­fort from a tal­ented Rams out­fit fall­ing just short.

Along with Cullen, Ri­ley Stein­bock, Jay­don Cullen, Thomas Dyer and Troy Lee were the stand-outs for South Man­durah.

Ty­rone Thorne and Wes­ley Steele were Rock­ing­ham’s main goal scor­ers, kick­ing two each, while Zayne Selkirk, Matthew Heal, Ja­cob He­witt Kyle Don­ald­son and Dy­lan Van Der Kwast were among the Rams’ best.

Pic­ture: Shazza J Photography

Pin­jarra de­feated Wa­roona in the Peel Foot­ball League grand fi­nal.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.