Replacing our bridge
Comments about upgrade stay vague
AN OVERHAUL of Carnarvon Bridge has been in discussion for a long time.
Transport and Roads Investment Program 2013-14 to 2016-17 stated the Stanthorpe Connection Road Carnarvon Bridge and its approaches would be replaced with an indicated cost of $600,000.
The concrete bridge was opened during Stanthorpe’s 50th Jubilee in 1922 and named after the Secretary of State, 4th Earl of Carnavon.
Carnarvon Bridge replaced an old wooden structure that was opened on February 22, 1878.
Member for Southern Downs Lawrence Springborg said he had been lobbying for some time for an update of Carnarvon Bridge.
“Over the years, I’ve always had the view that works needed to be done,” Mr Springborg said.
“The Carnarvon Bridge is structurally very sound but it’s getting to the end of its life.”
Mr Springborg said the information he had received indicated resources for a business case had been allocated to the bridge.
“They are going to do a preliminary design which will include a pedestrian walkway,” he said.
However, residents and travellers will have to wait for an upgrade.
“It (Carnarvon Bridge) will be replaced in the next decade,” Mr Springborg said.
A Transport and Main Roads spokesperson said the department was always looking at ways to enhance the road network, including improving state-owned bridges.
“Planning was completed on a design for the replacement of Carnarvon Bridge in Stanthorpe,” the spokesperson said.
However, construction funding had not yet been allocated for this project.
The spokesperson said any future funding would be assessed against competing statewide priorities.
WELL-VISITED: The opening of the Carnarvon Bridge back in 1922.