The worst is over, say fore­cast­ers

Storms belt Stan­thorpe

Stanthorpe Border Post - - NEWS WELCOME - Matthew Pur­cell Matthew.Pur­cell@bor­der­

CROPS and homes were left largely un­scathed af­ter pound­ing storms hit ear­lier in the week.

Trees were top­pled, tram­po­lines and shed roofs lost as storms lashed the Gran­ite Belt on Mon­day night but weather ex­perts sug­gest we’ve passed the worst of it for now.

SES Stan­thorpe and Er­gon work­ers toiled through the night re­mov­ing trees across roads and restor­ing power to roughly 5000 homes.

Adam Blazak, from the Bureau of Me­te­o­rol­ogy, said it was a com­bi­na­tion of weather events that brought on the rag­ing winds and heavy down­pours.

“We had a sur­face trough with lots of cold air in the up­per at­mo­sphere that made con­di­tions un­sta­ble,” Mr Blazak said.

“The good news was we got more rain without the su­per-dam­ag­ing stuff.”

Mr Blazak said parts of north­ern NSW copped the worst of it and he es­ti­mated there was 10–25mm of rain­fall in the Gran­ite Belt with closer to 35mm around the Bor­der Ranges.

It fol­lowed heavy falls on Sun­day evening where var­ied re­ports sug­gest rain­fall up to 50mm in parts of Stan­thorpe and sur­rounds.

The bureau pre­dicts a south-east­erly change will bring cooler con­di­tions for the re­main­der of this week.

Rod Re­hbein, from Er­gon En­ergy, said Stan­thorpe’s outer sub­urbs were im­pacted by the storm first.

“About 550 cus­tomers in Amiens, Broad­wa­ter, Green­lands and Spring Creek were af­fected from 2pm due to a blown light­ning ar­restor,” Mr Re­hbein said.

“Roughly 1600 cus­tomers in Bal­lan­dean, Glen Aplin, Sev­ern­lea and nearby com­mu­ni­ties had their power sup­ply in­ter­rupted at 6.30pm due to fallen power lines.

“Sup­ply was re­in­stated to all cus­tomers at 9.46pm af­ter the damaged sec­tion of the net­work was iso­lated.”

Those same res­i­dents were im­pacted a sec­ond time with light­ning wreak­ing havoc on elec­tri­cal equip­ment.

“About 1300 of these cus­tomers were af­fected again just be­fore 10pm due to light­ning dam­age to pole top equip­ment that re­sulted in some cus­tomers re­port­ing a brown-out,” Mr Re­hbein said.

“Power was re­stored to most cus­tomers just af­ter mid­night and the re­pairs were com­pleted fully at 1.39am.”

Fallen trees placed Stan­thorpe into dark­ness.

“About 1700 cus­tomers in Stan­thorpe and Lis­ton had their power sup­ply in­ter­rupted at 6.30pm when a tree damaged a cross-arm and brought down power lines,” he said.


CRACKER: Dan­ger­ous light­ning strikes over head.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.