Smith’s legacy is remembered
ONE of the late Doug Smith’s pet projects has been posthumously named in his honour.
It was Mr Smith who had the vision to obtain the land on Rogers St with a view of one day turning it into a carpark area for tourists and shoppers.
The carpark, completed by the council last year, will now officially be known as Doug Smith Car Park.
The former Stanthorpe Shire councillor and deputy mayor’s name was one of nine options presented to the council.
Samuel Lee’s name was put forward, as was the option of Wells Car Park, recognising George and Dell Wells.
Former councillor Mally McMurtrie, ex-council staffer Greg Thouard, along with councillor Vic Pennisi, were the driving forces behind having the carpark named in Smith’s honour.
Mally, a long-term advocate for the carpark, was also one of the names thrown into the mix.
“During Doug Smith’s time as deputy mayor of Stanthorpe Shire Council he had the vision and advocacy that land was purchased for the specific planning of building a carpark,” Cr Pennisi said.
Born in Stanthorpe in 1942 to parents Les and Gladys, Doug attended Stanthorpe State School until he left in Year 10.
He married Lyn Swaysland in 1966 and moved away for a number of years but eventually returned to town, this time with three boys in tow.
The pair ran Furnishings ’n’ Things and later the Honeysuckle Cottages.
He gave his time to clubs
❝ He had the vision and advocacy that land was purchased for the specific planning of building a carpark.
— Cr Vic Pennisi
including Apex, Lions, junior soccer, Apple and Grape Harvest committee, Probus, Meals on Wheels, was inaugural chairman of the Granite Belt Tourism Association and the council, for which he served as a councillor for 12 years.
Doug Smith passed away in 2014.
HONOURED: Doug Smith (left) with his brother Max.