Classic lemon souffle
serves / 4 prep / 20 minutes cook / 25 minutes
Caster sugar, to dust
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 tablespoon cornflour
250ml (1 cup) milk
70g ( 1⁄2 cup) caster sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon rind, finely grated
4 eggs, at room temperature, separated Icing sugar, to dust
1. Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Place a baking tray in the oven. Grease four 250ml (1 cup) ovenproof souffle dishes with melted butter. Lightly dust with caster sugar. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add flour and cornflour.
2. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until mixture begins to foam. Remove from heat. Gradually pour in half the milk, whisking constantly with a balloon whisk until smooth. Gradually add remaining milk, whisking until smooth and combined. Stir in 1⁄ cup sugar. 4
3. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 3-4 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens.
Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice and rind until well combined. Whisk in the yolks.
4. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Use electric beaters to beat the egg whites in a separate clean, dry bowl until firm peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar and whisk until thick and glossy.
5. Add one-quarter of the egg white mixture to the lemon mixture.
Use a large metal spoon to fold together until just combined. Add the remaining egg white to the mixture. Fold together until just combined.
6. Spoon into prepared dishes. Run your finger around the inside rim of the dish. Place souffle on preheated tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until puffed and just set. Dust with icing sugar. Serve immediately.