VEGAN PUMPKIN AND LENTIL ‘LASAGNE’
PREP 25 MINS, COOK 1 HOUR 5 MINS, 6 SERVINGS, EASY INGREDIENTS
● 750g peeled and deseeded pumpkin, thinly sliced
● 1 large (about 700g) eggplant, sliced
● 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil ● 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
● 3 celery sticks, finely chopped ● 3 garlic cloves, crushed
● 3 tsp dried oregano leaves ● 115g (½ cup) dried red lentils, rinsed, drained
● 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes ‘CHEESE’ SAUCE
● 227g tub vegan cream cheese ● 60ml (¼ cup) almond milk
● 2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs
(such as chives, basil or marjoram), plus extra leaves, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Place the pumpkin and eggplant on the prepared trays. Lightly spray with oil. Bake, turning, swapping trays halfway through cooking, for 20 minutes or until just tender.
2 Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion and celery, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and oregano. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the lentils, tomato and 250ml (1 cup) water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are tender and the sauce is thick. Season.
3 To make the “cheese” sauce, place all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
4 Lightly spray a 2-litre (8 cup) baking dish with oil. Spread ½ cup of lentil mixture over base of prepared dish. Arrange half the pumpkin in a single layer on top.
Top with half the remaining lentil mixture and half the eggplant.
Drizzle over a little “cheese” sauce. Repeat layering with the remaining pumpkin, lentil mixture and eggplant, finishing with remaining “cheese” sauce. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Top with extra herbs.