Harvey seeks answers on towers’ approval
SCARBOROUGH MLA Liza Harvey is seeking answers from the State Government about the approval of the 3 Oceans development in Scarborough.
The deputy Liberal leader said she was “gobsmacked” when the Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority approved the 43storey and 33-storey towers plan in June after rejecting it last December.
“My constituents feel aggrieved and thought that the development was so far outside of the planning scheme that it could not be approved,” she said.
“We are concerned for the precedent this sets as there are many other potential development sites in Scarborough.
“I am aware that a number of sites are now intending to submit development applications that are outside the scheme.”
Ms Harvey will ask Planning Minister Rita Saffioti when Parliament reconvenes on Tuesday what traffic upgrades will be done surrounding the site, whether the Government will pay for these and the reasons why the developer contribution payment was capped at 12 storeys, as reported by the Times in July.
Ms Saffioti said the comments were interesting given Ms Harvey was reported to have supported the proposal in March 2017.
“The 3 Oceans twin tower proposal received vocal public support from Ms Harvey and other stakeholders such as the Tourism Council and Mayor of Stirling from the beginning,” she said.
“Significant development is an opportunity to capitalise on the Government’s revitalisation of the Scarborough foreshore.
“We have a multi-agency working group to undertake a comprehensive and independent transport assessment of the wider development area.”
Ms Saffioti said the planning framework gave discretion for approval of variations.
Ms Harvey said her 2017 comments were made to “encourage the community to engage in the process”.