19 Failed exams no barrier
MORE than half of all year 12 students who failed their exams were accepted to study at university this year, while country kids are lagging behind, new data has revealed.
The latest snapshot of Australia’s university sector, seen exclusively by the Sunday Herald Sun, shows offers were made to more than 8000 students who received an ATAR score below 50, meaning the students performed worse than half of their year level.
In 2010 only 15.5 per cent of students in the bottom half of their year received university offers. This year most underperforming students accepted courses in teaching, commerce and health degrees.
The Education Department report, recently handed to the government, also reveals the average mark for high school students applying for university has slipped from 80 per cent in 2010, to 76 per cent this year.
Education minister Dan Tehan said the government would link increased university funding to improvements in performance, such as student attrition and comes from 2020.
“The number one priority for every university should be its students and ensuring their success,” he said.
In 2018, health degrees were the most popular degree courses on offer with one in four students applying to study courses in medicine, dentistry, nursing, veterinary studies and public health.
More than half of all students were offered a place in their preferred course and female school leavers FACEBOOK said yesterday it had taken down accounts linked to an Iranian effort to influence US and British politics with messages about charged topics such as immigration and race relations.
The social network identified 82 pages, groups and accounts that originated in Iran and violated policy on co-ordinated “inauthentic” behaviour, Facebook head of cybersecurity Nathaniel Gleicher said. graduate out- were more likely to apply for university than males.
In 2018 indigenous students remained vastly under-represented in higher education compared to their proportion of the population with only 2.1 per cent of applicants identifying as indigenous.
Fewer than one in four university applicants were from regional areas, despite making up 27 per cent of the population. Country kids were also more than twice as likely to defer their studies compared to
Mr Gleicher said there was overlap with accounts taken down earlier this year and linked to Iran state media, but the identity of the culprits had yet to be determined.
“It’s often hard to know who is behind this type of activity,” Mr Gleicher said in a telephone briefing.
Account owners tried to hide their identities by passing themselves off mostly as US citizens and, in a few cases, as applicants from metropolitan areas. In 2010, the federal government introduced the Higher Education Participation and Partnerships Program which encouraged disadvantaged students to access universities and complete their degrees.
Mr Tehan, who represents the rural seat of Wannon, said the Coalition had injected $650 million in to the program to support 134,000 undergraduate students each year.
“Country kids should have the same opportunities to go to university as their city cousins,” Mr Tehan said. British citizens, Mr Gleicher.
Posts on the accounts or pages, which included some hosted by Instagram, focused mostly on “sowing discord” via strongly divisive issues rather than on particular candidates or campaigns.
Accounts and pages dated back several years, but most of the online activity took place in the past year, according to Facebook. according to
Sam Porter and Shelly Kemp with their son, Banjo, and Antoinette Ware. Picture: DAVID CAIRD IT’S not every day you help deliver a baby over the phone, and for ESTA worker Antoinette Ware this was a call to remember.In September last year, Mrs Ware answered a triple-0 call from Sam Porter saying his partner, Shelly Kemp, was in labour. This week the family was united with the woman on the other end of the line — giving Mrs Ware the chance to meet the healthy baby she helped into the world.“It was surreal. I’ve never met one of the babies I’ve helped to deliver, so it was very special,” Mrs Ware said. “It’s funny because he is so big now.” She recalls how the call quickly turned to a delivery. “I was getting details from Sam and he was saying the head was presenting, so I knew I had to get the call in to the ambulance guys right away.“By the time I put the details through, the baby was on its way.”Mrs Ware credits having a “mum voice” and Mr Porter’s calm nature for the smooth delivery.Now a mother of three, Ms Kemp said the pair were in the garage arguing about getting in the car when her waters broke and she felt an immense pressure.“I was just being naive — saying he won’t come tonight, I’ll have a shower. And then all of a sudden it kicked off,” Ms Kemp said.“Then I couldn’t get in the car.“He (Mr Porter) had to drag me inside and as soon as I got inside the house I couldn’t move.”The couple called for an ambulance, but it was soon clear their baby wasn’t going to wait. It was then left to Mr Porter to take the reins and deliver their son on the floor of their Melbourne home.The couple said being able to thank Mrs Ware in person was a beautiful moment.
ARIANA Grande is ready to resume touring again and will hit the road next year.Grande announced yesterday that her 42-datewould kick off on March 18 in Albany, New York.Her previous tour was suspended after a terrorist bombing killed 22 and injured more than 500 at Manchester Arena in 2017. Ariana Grande