Pressure mounts to get kids off Nauru
TENSION within the Morrison Government is building to fast-track the removal of children from Nauru after revelations it expects all asylum seeker children to be off the island by the end of the year.
Several senior ministers told the Sunday Herald Sun that a Christmas deadline could be too late for the sickest children.
“If they can do it by Christmas then why not bring them here now. It might be too late,” one minister said.
One minister was also very critical of Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton, who had admitted he wanted to do more to get kids out of detention when trying to soften his image during the leadership spill.
Last week, Australia’s High Commissioner to the UK George Brandis told British radio station, “there are hardly any children in Nauru and in New Guinea”.
“We expect that by the end of this year there’ll be none,” he told radio station LBC.
Last week a News Limited poll revealed 79 per cent of Australians want the government to accept an offer from New Zealand to resettle them.