BLOOD ON In­ter­net giants un­der siege THEIR HANDS


PRIME Min­is­ter Theresa May will or­der in­ter­net giants to clamp down on ex­trem­ism fol­low­ing the Lon­don un­der­ground ter­ror at­tack that in­jured 29 com­muters.

She will take on Google, Face­book and Mi­crosoft af­ter hun­dreds of com­muters – in­clud­ing school­child­ren – nar­rowly avoided death when the bomb failed to fully det­o­nate on a rush-hour train.

The move comes as an 18year-old man was last night ar­rested in con­nec­tion with the Par­sons Green sta­tion at­tack. Kent Po­lice ar­rested the man in the port area of Dover, fol­low­ing a na­tion­wide man­hunt to find the per­son re­spon­si­ble for the ter­ror­ist at­tack on Friday.

A Met­ro­pol­i­tan Po­lice state­ment said the man was be­ing held in cus­tody at a lo­cal po­lice sta­tion and would be trans­ferred to a south Lon­don po­lice sta­tion un­der the Ter­ror­ism Act.

The at­tacker used a “fairy light” bomb that can be made from in­struc­tions still avail­able on­line last night.

Re­fer­ring to Mrs May’s in­ter­net com­ments, a Govern­ment spokes­woman said: “It is a con­cern that in­stru­ments of ter­ror can be made from in­for­ma­tion dis­sem­i­nated on the in­ter­net. Where lives are at risk, those ser­vices have a re­spon­si­bil­ity to re­assess what in­for­ma­tion is avail­able be­cause, at the mo­ment, they are crim­i­nally cul­pa­ble for any deadly con­se­quences.”

Se­nior na­tional co-or­di­na­tor for counter ter­ror­ism, Deputy As­sis­tant Com­mis­sioner Neil Basu, said the ar­rest was a sig­nif­i­cant step for­ward in the large-scale Par­sons Green in­ves­ti­ga­tion.

“This ar­rest will lead to more ac­tiv­ity from our of­fi­cers,” Mr Basu said last night.

“For strong in­ves­tiga­tive rea­sons, we will not give any­more de­tails on the man we ar­rested at this stage”.

He urged the pub­lic to re­main vig­i­lant while po­lice con­tin­ued to work through the com­plex in­ves­ti­ga­tion.

“We are not, at this time, chang­ing our pro­tec­tive se­cu­rity mea­sures and the steps taken to free up ex­tra armed of­fi­cers re­main in place,” he said. Se­cu­rity Min­is­ter Ben Wal­lace said au­thor­i­ties had spent yes­ter­day morn­ing con­tact­ing homes, busi­nesses and sport­ing clubs and “re­view­ing se­cu­rity around trans­port net­works” in their at­tempts to find sus­pects. Po­lice have in­ter­viewed 45 wit­nesses and have re­ceived 77 im­ages and videos from mem­bers of the pub­lic who were at the scene of the at­tack.

Mrs May will host a sum­mit with French Pres­i­dent Em­manuel Macron this com­ing week and is ex­pected to warn tech­nol­ogy giants they need to do more to tackle ex­trem­ists. Just hours af­ter the in­ci­dent, she raised the ter­ror alert sta­tus to its high­est level – “crit­i­cal” – which means an at­tack is ex­pected im­mi­nently. Troops will be de­ployed at key sites to free up more armed po­lice to pa­trol thor­ough­fares and trans­port hubs.

As Scot­land Yard and MI5 de­ployed hun­dreds of in­ves­ti­ga­tors to find the man: MRS May re­buked US Pres­i­dent Don­ald Trump for say­ing the bomber was “in the sights” of Bri­tish po­lice; COM­MUTERS told of chaos when a ball of flame en­gulfed their car­riage; IS­LAMIC State claimed re­spon­si­bil­ity for the at­tack.

The bomber fled shortly af­ter dump­ing the sus­pected nail de­vice in a cloth bag in­side a large plas­tic food bucket. At about 8.20am on Friday, it par­tially ig­nited, send­ing a fire­ball through the car­riage, caus­ing flash wounds. The de­vice fiz­zled out, how­ever, be­fore the main charge could go off. Pas­sen­gers cov­ered in blood and with scorched hands, legs, faces and hair, fled in panic, trig­ger­ing a stam­pede.

The bomber is be­lieved to have been cap­tured on CCTV mak­ing a phone call. The speed with which the ter­ror­ist was iden­ti­fied sug­gests he could al­ready have been on a po­lice data­base or watch­list.

Mr Trump sug­gested in a tweet that “loser ter­ror­ists” were be­hind the at­tack and that the bomber was al­ready on the radar of Scot­land Yard – a claim that was met with fury from po­lice.

Po­lice dis­missed the tweet as “un­help­ful spec­u­la­tion”, while Mrs May also re­buked him. “I never think it’s help­ful for any­body to spec­u­late on what is an on­go­ing in­ves­ti­ga­tion,” she said, speak­ing af­ter an emer­gency meet­ing of se­nior min­is­ters.

A lo­cal res­i­dent, Char­lie Craven, who was on his way to the sta­tion at the time of the at­tack, said he heard a “mas­sive bang”.

“I saw an orange sort of fire­ball en­com­pass­ing the whole tube com­ing to­wards you,” he said. “Then it was pan­de­mo­nium, peo­ple run­ning ev­ery­where.”

TER­ROR TAR­GET: An in­jured woman is helped by a po­lice of­fi­cer af­ter the ex­plo­sion at the Par­sons Green train sta­tion and top, of­fi­cers at the scene.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.