Five tips for mobile security
1. Use a PIN: Ensure that a PIN, password or swipe code is required to access your phone’s home screen. This makes it less likely for your information to be compromised if your phone is lost or stolen.
2. Stay up-to-date: Both Apple and Google make regular updates to their smartphone operating systems, including patches for newly-discovered security vulnerabilities.
3. Be app savvy: Only download apps from the official app stores. Before you download, read the reviews and all of the fine print.
4. Bluetooth off: If you don’t use Wifi or Bluetooth, you should turn off wireless communications features.
5. Backup data: If your smartphone is compromised, sometimes the only way to be sure the virus is gone is to completely wipe your memory. Back it up first for fewer tears.