Natalie Imbruglia tells why her TV return was physically and emotionally exhausting. By Colin Vickery
NATALIE Imbruglia is back on Australian TV for the first time in six years – but she is a world away from Ramsay Street.
The former Neighbours star is standing in front of Ray Martin at Uluru, preparing for a lifechanging experience.
Imbruglia, an international chart-topper with her song
Torn, is one of six celebrities taking part in the second season of First Contact.
The 41-year-old, along with former One Nation politician David Oldfield, TV judge Ian “Dicko” Dickson, comedian Tom Ballard, former Miss Universe Australia Renae Ayris and actor Nicki Wendt, visits remote Aboriginal communities decimated by drug and alcohol addiction and high rates of suicide.
First Contact is the first time Imbruglia has been on Aussie TV since her judging stint on talent show The X
Factor in 2010. In July last year, she released covers album Male. But other than that, she has been off the grid. So what has she been up to?
“I am songwriting actually and I’m seeing what kind of an album that’s going to turn into,” she says. “I also have a couple of business ventures I’m working on. I tend to keep quiet unless I’ve got something to talk about. I don’t self-promote between jobs. I just get on with life.”
Imbruglia’s most emotionally affecting experience came when she, Ayris and Wendt travelled to Cootamundra to hear first-hand from women separated from their families as children – the stolen generation.
“It is one thing to know that it happened, but to sit there with people who experienced it was a lot,” Imbruglia says of the visit.
“Some of them were still struggling with the trauma but so many of them were looking to the future. I found that incredibly inspiring.”
FIRST CONTACT TUESDAY-THURSDAY, 8.30PM, SBS