Terror group urges all-out war on West
ISLAMIC State has called on its supporters to launch an “allout war’’ on the West, four days after the Manchester bombing.
Police, who have arrested 13 people in connection with the bombing, which killed 22 people and injured 116, said they had rounded up some of the “key players’’ in what they suspect is a sophisticated terror cell with international links.
The jihadist group has posted a video on YouTube rationalising the attack on teenagers and children and urging its supporters to use the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which started yesterday, to wage terror.
“Muslim brothers in Europe who can’t reach the Islamic State lands, attack them in their homes, their markets, their roads and their forums,’’ it said, as the UK remained on critical terror alert.
Remarking on the suicide bombing by British-born Salman Abedi, 22, the group said: “Do not despise the work. Your targeting of the so-called innocents and civilians is beloved by us and the most effective, so go forth and may you get a great reward or martyrdom in Ramadan.”
Sixty-six people are still in hospital as a result of the attack, 23 in critical condition.
Western governments, including Australia, are bracing for a potentially deadly Ramadan period, with a similar call to arms last year resulting in increased terror activity, including the murder of 49 people at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, and the bombing of the main airport in Istanbul, Turkey, which claimed 45 lives.
Extremists armed with machineguns attacked a bus in Egypt, killing 26 Christians, on the first day of Ramadan yesterday
The UK’s top counter-terrorism officer, Scotland Yard’s Mark Rowley, said police were pleased with the progress being made, as they detained 11 people in connection with Monday’s bombing.
Abedi’s brothers Ismail, 23, and Hashem, 20, and father Ramadan, 51, have both been detained in Libya.
“We are happy we’ve got our hands around some of the key players,’’ Assistant Commissioner Rowley said.