Women’s AFL team decision this week
AFTER a delay of a month, Tasmania and North Melbourne will know if its joint AFLW submission has been successful by Tuesday.
And those close to the bid remain supremely confident the state will have some representation in the competition in 2019.
The announcement on the AFLW expansion was originally scheduled for last month’s AFL commission meeting but was delayed as more information was sought from the league’s executive.
It was the second time the expansion had been put back following the controversial resignation of the AFL’s second in charge Simon Lethlean, who oversaw the women’s league, after he had a workplace affair.
The commission will meet before tomorrow’s Brownlow Medal count where a decision will be made on how many and which of the eight submissions has been successful.
St Kilda, Geelong, Richmond, West Coast, Essendon, Hawthorn and the Gold Coast are the other AFL clubs to apply for a licence.
But it is believed Geelong and North Melbourne/Tasmania are the frontrunners, with Richmond, St Kilda and West Coast also in contention.
Exactly how much Tasmanian component will be in the joint submission is yet to be fully revealed.
However, North Melbourne chief executive Carl Dilena said a working title of the “Tasmanian Kangaroos” was part of the submission.
Mr Dilena said the club appreciated what it would mean to Tasmanians to see the state’s name on an AFL ladder for the first time.
The Kangaroos have already pledged half the squad would be made up of Tasmanians, with home games to be shared between Melbourne, Hobart and Launceston, with a training base in the state.