Killer’s ram­page haunts women

Vic­tims’ night­mare as con­victed killer free on pa­role

Sunday Tasmanian - - Front Page - CHANEL KINNIBURGH and DAVID KILLICK

THE two women whose lives were shat­tered by one of Tas­ma­nia’s most hor­rific crimes say con­victed mur­derer Jamie John Cur­tis should be left to rot in jail.

“He’s pure evil to the core,” one of his vic­tims said.

Af­ter 32 years in prison, Cur­tis, 62, walks free on pa­role to­mor­row.

On Fe­bru­ary 15, 1986, Cur­tis and an ac­com­plice went on a mur­der­ous ram­page af­ter an all-night drink­ing ses­sion in Ho­bart, ab­duct­ing and rap­ing a teenager and stab­bing her fi­ance to death.

Speak­ing ex­clu­sively to the Sun­day Tas­ma­nian, the wo­man said pa­role should never have been con­sid­ered.

“I don’t think any­one who did what he did should be re­leased from prison,” said the sur­viv­ing vic­tim, who can­not be named for le­gal rea­sons.

“It was 12 hours of hell and tor­ture that they en­joyed. He threat­ened to chop me up with a chain­saw.”

A sen­tenc­ing judge de­scribed Cur­tis’ role in the ab­duc­tion, as­saults, sex­ual abuse and mur­der as “un­pro­voked, bru­tal, pro­longed, in­dis­crim­i­nate and cal­lous”.

But the Pa­role Board said de­spite a con­tin­u­ing per­son­al­ity disor­der, the life pris­oner was de­serv­ing of re­lease on his sec­ond at­tempt at pa­role.

Un­der the terms of his re­lease, he can’t drink or take drugs, or ever ap­proach his vic­tims.

THE trau­ma­tised vic­tims of Jamie John Cur­tis say they will be for­ever haunted by his acts of “pure evil”.

Cur­tis, 62, is ex­pected to be re­leased on pa­role to­mor­row af­ter serv­ing 32 years in jail.

The wo­man Cur­tis re­peat­edly raped and tor­tured — who can­not be named for le­gal rea­sons — yes­ter­day told the Sun­day Tas­ma­nian she was “pretty cer­tain” he would com­mit an­other crime.

“I’ve thought about just pick­ing up and go­ing away for a while but why should I have to dis­rupt my life?,” she said.

“I’m wor­ried the po­lice won’t be able to pro­tect me. I’m pretty cer­tain he will re­of­fend.”

The wo­man said Cur­tis should not be re­leased. “I don’t think any­one who did what he did should be re­leased from prison,” said the vic­tim.

“He’s pure core.”

Af­ter drink­ing all night on Fe­bru­ary 15, 1986, Cur­tis and his teenage ac­com­plice went on a ram­page — ab­duct­ing the then 19-year-old wo­man and mur­der­ing her fi­ance Dean Al­lie, 22.

Cur­tis was sen­tenced in 1986 for mur­der, ab­duc­tion, six counts of rape, ag­gra­vated bur­glary, four counts of caus­ing griev­ous bod­ily harm, nine counts of as­sault, three counts of in­de­cent as­sault, one count of es­cape and two counts of bur­glary.

Mr Al­lie’s sis­ter Carol said nei­ther of the men have ever apol­o­gised.

“Not once, in a sin­gle court hear­ing, did ei­ther of evil to the them have any re­morse,” she said. “It still feels like it hap­pened yes­ter­day. Hear­ing that he will be re­leased has turned the clock all the way back.

“On Mon­day, he gets his life back, but we don’t get Dean back.”

Cur­tis and the teenager first ab­ducted a 15-year-old girl at knife­point, but she man­aged to es­cape from the boot of their car.

They then went to Glenorchy and at­tacked the 19year-old vic­tim and Mr Al­lie in their home over a 12-hour pe­riod.

They even­tu­ally drove the vic­tims to farm­land at Gretna and stabbed Mr Al­lie 12 times, with a fa­tal wound to the heart.

The men were ar­rested at the scene.

Chief Jus­tice Wil­liam Cox said the men mur­dered Mr Al­lie in hope of es­cap­ing de­tec­tion.

“In the scale of se­ri­ous­ness of crim­i­nal con­duct cul­mi­nat­ing in mur­der, this case ranks among the worst one is likely to en­counter,” he said.

De­spite al­low­ing Cur­tis to work out­side the prison un­su­per­vised for al­most two years, the Pa­role Board said he would re­quire a “medium level” of su­per­vi­sion once re­leased.

“Con­di­tions that have been rec­om­mended if he is granted pa­role in­clude on­go­ing coun­selling with a psy­chol­o­gist, no con­sump­tion of al­co­hol, non-as­so­ci­a­tion with his co-of­fender and a cur­few that would al­low him to work,” its de­ci­sion read in part.

The de­ci­sion also said Cur­tis had shown clear ev­i­dence of per­son­al­ity disor­der with a high num­ber of psy­cho­pathic traits.

“His treat­ing psy­chol­o­gist noted that a per­son­al­ity disor­der is en­dur­ing and es­sen­tially a way of be­ing and there­fore can­not be cured,” it said.

“The Board ap­pre­ci­ates the un­der­stand­able con­cerns of the vic­tims which were pow­er­fully con­veyed in their Vic­tim Im­pact State­ments. Their views are im­por­tant; there are, how­ever, a num­ber of other fac­tors which must be con­sid­ered when mak­ing this de­ci­sion.”

Mr Al­lie’s sis­ter said Cur­tis would re­main a risk un­til the day he died.

“We want the pub­lic to know what he’s ca­pa­ble of, it will only take one thing to pro­voke him,” she said.

“We’ve begged the Pa­role Board to send him to the main­land. If he does it again, will they be ac­count­able?”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.