Handy home tips to stop Christmas-light fires
WITH the festive season here, Mareeba residents are being warned of the potential fire risks from Christmas lights and decorations.
Mareeba Fire Station acting station officer Jason Ryan said power points or power boards should not be overloaded or left on all night.
“The heat in the light transformers can get very hot and cause a fire. There should only be one item per socket,” he said.
“Lights should not be left unattended for long periods of time, particularly overnight, or if nobody is home.”
Mr Ryan said people should check that lights bought online are made to Australian standards and ensure trees are not pushed up against power points.
“Each country has their own standards,” he said.
“If you are purchasing lights online, you should check they have an Australian standards label.
“Artificial trees are combustible and natural Christmas trees are full of oil.
“Lights and power points generate heat and if the tree is position against that source there could be a serious incident.”
An RACQ spokeswoman warned aged, faulty or incorrectly installed lights with basic safety checks performed each year.
“RACQ research shows 48 per cent of home fires experienced by respondents were cause by electrical faults,” she said.
It is important people are vigilant as they begin to decorate their homes for Christmas and inspect their lights for any visible signs of damage.”