Lack of help to get women into senior roles
TWOin three Australian workers believe organisations do not do enough to help women into senior management, a survey by recruiting experts Hays reveals.
Regional director Lisa Morris says there is a need to propel more women to senior management ranks in most industries.
‘‘From our experience, we know that many women look for a new job because of inadequate career development and progression opportunities,’’ she says.
‘‘So a program to assist women into senior management will not only expand the pool of talent internally with leadership potential but it can also help improve retention rates.
‘‘Women are not only in the minority in traditionally male-dominated industries, like trading desks or on resources projects, they’re also under-represented across the spectrum of Australia’s senior management workforce.’’
The survey finds 64 per cent of more than 1100 people believe organisations could do more to help women reach the top, with the remaining 36 per cent believing they already do enough.
Hays advises organisations to establish steering groups, mentorships and coaching or networking programs to allow women to discuss their ideas, plan their career paths, access career development and settle into new roles.
It says male and female managers also need to be trained in the value of a diverse workforce.