Stay safe with summer fun activities
WITH the holidays well underway, we remind all parents and carers to be aware of potential hazards facing children, including those from seemingly harmless products or activities.
Children’s energetic and adventurous play can also see an increase in the risk of accidents.
So make sure your family has not inadvertently given, or received, recalled or banned products as gifts during the Christmas period because they could cause serious injuries. Toys and other products have been associated with choking and ingestion hazards in young children, which can lead to illness and even death.
Many city-based children also visit relatives or friends on farms during the holidays but may not know how to use some farm equipment, such as quad bikes, or appreciate the potential danger posed by farm machinery.
Safety issues to be aware of at home and when away on holidays include:
Toys: check they are age appropriate and do not pose choking hazards. Particularly be wary of items containing button batteries. These batteries are in common household items including remote controls, decorations and novelties. If swallowed by a young child, the battery can become stuck and burn through soft tissue in just two hours, causing serious injuries or death. If you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, immediately call the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.
Furniture: toppling furniture and televisions kill at least one child every year. An estimated 2600 Australians receive hospital treatment annually for injuries caused by furniture and televisions. Check each room of your house or holiday accommodation to identify the risks.
Blind and curtain cords: these can pose a strangulation hazard for children, with at least one death occurring each year. Cords should be secured with tensioners or wall cleats.
Inflatable and portable pool: these present a danger as they are not usually fenced and may not be emptied after use. Pool fencing laws apply to pools, including portable pools that are 300mm deep or more.