E ARL GREY TE A CAKE
Prep time 30mins Serves 8 - 12 Cooking time 30mins
1. Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Spray two 20cm round tins with cooking spray and line with baking paper.
2. Using an electric mixer, whip the butter and sugar together for three minutes until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and the eggs one at a time, whisking until combined. Remove from the mixer and sift in the flour and baking powder.
3. Fold the tea leaves into the mixture, gradually adding the milk to keep the batter moist.
4. Divide the batter into the two tins and smooth over using a spatula. Place in the oven, bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely in the tins.
5. To assemble the cake, whip the cream, sugar and vanilla until you get medium-soft peaks. Cut each sponge cake in half using a serrated knife.
6. Place a sponge cake on your serving plate. Spread generously with the jam and top with whipped cream. Repeat with remaining layers. For the top layer, dollop with the last of the whipped cream and sprinkle with dried rose petals and tea leaves.
Tip: You can make the sponges a day ahead of time, just wrap them in cling wrap once they’ve completely cooled.
1L, Poppy,Gift Boxed, $49.95 Teas & C’s Teapot
Teas & C’s Sugar Bowl 320ml, Passion Vine, Gift Boxed, $14.95
300ml, Poppy, Gift Boxed, $11.95 Teas & C’s Creamer