Roar takes re­venge on City

The Cobram Courier - - SPORT -

Co­bram Roar recorded a mas­sive first-up fi­nals win on Sun­day, com­ing away with a huge five-nil win against ri­val Al­bury City.

City shocked the foot­ball world this time last sea­son, knock­ing the first-placed Co­bram out of the fi­nals race and go­ing on to make the grand fi­nal from eighth spot.

This year there was to be no re­peat — with the re­sult still raw in the minds of many of the play­ers they were not go­ing to make the same mis­takes for the sec­ond con­sec­u­tive sea­son.

Co­bram had a full list to choose from for the first time all sea­son, with Nathan Thomas and Ray­mond Di­ra­macca re­turn­ing af­ter lengthy lay-offs as Co­bram pushed from the first whistle and al­most broke the dead­lock in­stantly when a long range ef­fort from Mar­shall came back off the cross bar.

Co­bram was cre­at­ing plenty of chances early on but they were ei­ther go­ing just wide or forc­ing the City keeper into some great saves.

Down the other end City also had a great chance to break the dead­lock when its striker broke through and found him­self with only the keeper to beat — only to shoot just wide.

Fi­nally af­ter 20 min­utes Co­bram was re­warded with a goal when a pin­point cross from Mar­shall found the head of Puck­ett who headed home past the City keeper to give his side a de­served one-goal lead.

City now had to push and was caught out mo­ments later when a set piece was saved by Co­bram keeper Var­ley whose long range kick put through Mar­shall who cheek­ily chipped the keeper from out­side the box and dou­bled his side’s ad­van­tage.

Co­bram was now well on top and City didn’t seem to have any an­swers as the scores were 2-0 at the break.

Af­ter half-time Co­bram knew City would come out fir­ing, but put that to rest in the open­ing two min­utes when a cross by Justin Smith picked out Puck­ett who again made no mis­take fin­ish­ing and took his side to a 3-0 lead.

Al­bury City’s heads were down as Co­bram con­tin­ued to push in num­bers and on the hour mark made it 4-0 when Puck­ett found space in the box and rounded the keeper to score his hat-trick.

Co­bram still con­tin­ued to push and could have eas­ily scored many more goals as play­ers missed many op­por­tu­ni­ties.

But the re­sult was never in doubt as coach Adam Gatcum scored his side’s fifth with lit­er­ally the last kick of the match.

Co­bram is now in the pre­lim­i­nary fi­nal against Al­bury United this Sun­day at Jel­bert Park, Lav­ing­ton at 3 pm.

Roar has had no luck against United this sea­son, go­ing down in two close en­coun­ters 1-2 and 2-3, but could have eas­ily won both matches and will go into this game full of con­fi­dence to book a spot in the grand fi­nal. Score: 5-0. Goals: B. Puck­ett 3, B. Mar­shall, A. Gatcum.


The re­serves were com­ing up against the only side they hadn’t de­feated this sea­son and were pushed all the way in a thrilling and of­ten fiery en­counter.

The first half was a very scrappy af­fair as Co­bram went against a strong breeze but still should have taken the lead but just couldn’t hit the tar­get.

In the sec­ond half the Co­bram play­ers lifted their game and started to play their style of soc­cer and took the lead 10 min­utes in when Joseph Bal­lerini scored di­rect from a cor­ner kick.

For the next 10 min­utes Co­bram was well on top but started to get com­pla­cent and paid the ul­ti­mate price when Di­a­monds pushed through and equalised.

The re­serves kept their heads and con­tin­ued to push and soon found them­selves in the lead again af­ter a good run down the wing by Bal­lerini picked out Michael Star­tari at the top of the box to slot home his left-footed ef­fort into the bot­tom cor­ner and re­store his side’s lead.

Di­a­monds had a golden chance to level the scores af­ter the kick­off only for their chance to go just wide as Co­bram man­aged to hold tight and fight out a very en­ter­tain­ing match to book a spot in the pre­lim­i­nary fi­nal.

Roar will play Wan­garatta at 12.50 pm at Jel­bert Park.

Co­bram has recorded two-goal wins in both matches against Wan­garatta this sea­son but will be ex­pect­ing a much tougher con­test this time around. Score: 2-1. Goals: J. Bal­lerini, M. Star­tari.


The soc­cer sea­son came to an end for the un­der-16 boys on Sun­day af­ter they were de­feated in the elim­i­na­tion fi­nal.

The boys played Twin City Wan­der­ers in what was go­ing to be a chal­leng­ing match.

The boys took to the pitch with com­mit­ment and en­thu­si­asm and played great soc­cer.

They were com­pet­i­tive and coura­geous and the op­po­si­tion was not able to get a score on the board un­til the sec­ond half. Nick Os­borne kicked Roar’s only goal from a Jack Cas­sidy free kick for the boys to level the score.

Un­for­tu­nately in the last 10 min­utes of the game, Twin City sealed the win with two more goals.

A valiant ef­fort from the un­der16 boys — they played with courage and never gave up. Well done boys! Score: 1-3. Goals: N. Os­borne 1. Best: K. Liss­ing­ton, J. Cas­sidy, C. Sor­renti, T. Hyde.


Roar un­der-12s played their first fi­nal against the Myrtle­ford Savoys.

The game started in a very com­pet­i­tive fash­ion, with the Savoys look­ing the stronger of the two sides.

Once the Roar boys set­tled and got their pass­ing to­gether the tides turned and the ball went from end to end.

De­fend­ers Chaz Boyd and Zain Ali­bra­heem con­stantly ran and con­trolled play while Thomas Corso was the gen­eral in the mid­dle giv­ing con­stant feed for­ward.

Jack­son Koop­man took on the Savoys to have a cracker shot, to put Roar up in the 23rd minute of the first half.

The sec­ond half was an­other bat­tle, see­ing Myrtle­ford catch out the Roar de­fend­ers to equalise.

Jack­son trou­bled the Savoys’ keeper many times to see a full time score at 1-1.

Ex­tra time was tax­ing on both teams, but the Savoys took ad­van­tage of a Roar mis­take to take the game with the golden goal in the last minute.

The Roar boys cer­tainly put their heart into the game, with ev­ery player wor­thy of an award and all came off the pitch ex­hausted. Score: 1-2. Goal: Jack­son Koop­man. Best: Neil Su­phun, Zain Ali­bra­heem, Jack­son Koop­man, Thomas Koop­man, Michaele Mus­tica and Chaz Boyd.


The un­der-11s played a very com­pet­i­tive and tough match against Al­bury Di­a­monds and pre­vailed, win­ning 2-1.

From the out­set Co­bram was on the front foot with Mikael Ar­tavilla-Ben­nett pro­vid­ing some great runs down the right wing.

The de­fence line of Sonny Rowe, Harry Pater­son, Spencer Clarke and Ty­rone Bax­ter were stoic and stopped all of Di­a­monds’ for­ward move­ments.

Co­bram hit the lead af­ter Sonny’s boom­ing free kick was run onto by striker Jake Kalz who slammed it past the keeper.

Jor­dan Kelly played a solid game in goals, stop­ping Di­a­monds’ shots, and Leo Quinane played well as a for­ward, gen­er­at­ing for­ward play.

De­spite this, Di­a­monds hit back and lev­elled the scores.

The ball then went end-to-end with both teams search­ing for a win­ner.

Leo did a great run and passed the ball to Lo­gan Stone who crossed the ball per­fectly to Jake who scored a good goal to put Co­bram 2-1 up.

The last 10 min­utes were fre­netic with Co­bram hold­ing firm and win­ning the game.

Co­bram now plays Myrtle­ford on Sun­day with the win­ner pro­ceed­ing to the grand fi­nal. Score: 2-1. Goals: Jake 2. Award: Leo.

Other re­sults

● Di­vi­sion three men (un­der-18): Co­bram Roar 5 d Myrtle­ford 0. Play Wodonga Di­a­monds this Sun­day at 9.25 am at Jel­bert Park. ● Un­der-14: Co­bram Roar 1 lost to Al­bury City FC 2. ● Un­der-13 girls: Al­bury Hot­spurs 9 d Co­bram Roar 0. ● Un­der-13: Wodonga Di­a­monds 2 d Co­bram Roar 0. ● Un­der-11: Co­bram Roar won 2-1. Play Myrtle­ford this Sun­day at 8 am at Jel­bert Park.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.