The Cobram Courier - - LOCAL CLASSIES -

Rod Armstrong re­turned to the win­ners’ list in Satur­day’s 28 km road race, hav­ing last won on Au­gust 27, 2016. He nar­rowly de­feated Wayde Fos­ter in a time of 48.39 min­utes. Ideal con­di­tions greeted the 10 rid­ers at the start. First to leave were Sharen Parm­ley ac­com­pa­nied by Sharyn White from the limit mark of 11 min. White could not sus­tain the pace, leav­ing Parm­ley to ride solo for the rest of the jour­ney. The 7 min bunch con­sisted of Wayde Fos­ter and Rod Armstrong, with Gif­ford Crosth­waite and the well per­formed Bernie Gille­spie be­ing al­lo­cated the 4 min mark. With­out Travis Lindhe in at­ten­dance the scratch bunch of four were Char­lie White, Heath White, Ter­rance Walm­s­ley and Gary Smith. The very fit Char­lie White was favoured for fastest time af­ter be­ing se­lected in an Aus­tralian triath­lete team, but his brother Heath caused an up­set, in a time of 42.20 min. Next to fin­ish was Walm­s­ley fol­lowed by Smith and Char­lie White who had worked hard to get his group into a favourable po­si­tion. With just 6 km to travel Sharyn Parm­ley was caught by the 7 min bunch and looked likely to fin­ish third, but the fast-fin­ish­ing scratch­men rel­e­gated her to sev­enth place when they over­took her with the fin­ish line in sight. Gille­spie and Crosth­waite of the ‘‘Wild Hog’’ group were eighth and ninth with Sharyn White in 10th in a time of 61.34 mins. A field of 67 rid­ers en­tered the 62 km Ge­off Dixon Memo­rial at Chiltern on Sun­day. It was the fourth stage of the Tour de Rive­rina se­ries. The two-lap event was di­vided into six bunches with Co­bram Ba­rooga’s Bernie Gille­spie rid­ing with the 16 minute group, Richard Han­dreck and Si­mon Rudd 6 mins, while Heath White rode from 4 mins. White was out of the race af­ter one lap, most likely suf­fer­ing fa­tigue af­ter his great ef­fort the day be­fore. Mul­ti­ple club cham­pion Travis Lindhe was rid­ing with the scratch bunch and looked a likely can­di­date for vic­tory, but his as­pi­ra­tions were thwarted when he was beaten nar­rowly by Wagga rider Myles Ste­wart for first and fastest time. It was an ex­cel­lent ef­fort by Lindhe, who had a lim­ited prepa­ra­tion. Gille­spie im­proved on last year’s ef­fort, only be­ing caught by the scratch mark­ers in the last 10 km. Han­dreck and Rudd were rep­re­sent­ing the club as well and were in the 30-rider bunch who con­tested the sprint, fin­ish­ing just out­side the plac­ings, at an av­er­age speed of 42 km/h. Rudd, who has only been rac­ing for a short time, showed great speed and en­durance, but his bunch was no match for scratch which av­er­aged a phe­nom­e­nal 45 km/h. In­ter­est­ingly Rudd and Han­dreck have never raced with the club. Satur­day, May 5 will see the first in a five-race se­ries of time tri­als be­ing con­tested; $5 en­try, 1.30 pm, MON fac­tory start­ing point. Please come along to en­sure the suc­cess of the event.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.