Orara Val­ley bag the dou­ble

Emus ladies win both Div 2 and 3

The Coffs Coast Advocate - - SPORT -

CEL­E­BRA­TIONS at Orara Val­ley Hockey Club went on through the night af­ter win­ning the Divi­sion 2 and Divi­sion 3 dou­ble.

Orara Val­ley se­cured its places in the Div 2 and Div 3 women’s grand fi­nals with ma­jor semi-fi­nal wins over Bellingen and Urunga re­spec­tively.

The Divi­sion 3 women fi­nal be­tween Orara Val­ley and Urunga was a de­fen­sive tug of war.

It wasn’t un­til late in the sec­ond half that Orara Val­ley was able to break the dead­lock through a Kirri Hardes strike.

Orara Val­ley were able to put Bellingen un­der pres­sure early in the Divi­sion 2 women’s fi­nal, find­ing the back of the net through a well worked shot from Cassie Smith.

The sec­ond half saw Bellingen al­low some poor tack­ling into their game re­sult­ing in the loss of play­ers to dis­ci­plinary ac­tion.

The Emus made the most of their nu­mer­i­cal ad­van­tage with Jackie El­ford putting away two more goals. Three in a row for Urunga THE men’s 1st Divi­sion grand fi­nal proved to be an­other nail-biter for the fans in the grand­stand.

Urunga got off to a great start with an early goal to Ai­dan Neaves and looked to have the run of play for most of the first half.

Raids by Sean Lover­ing and By­ron Auld were nu­mer­ous and had to be dif­fused by the Beaches de­fence be­fore they hit the half time break.

Urunga came out of the half time break look­ing to repli­cate their first half ef­forts while Beaches were look­ing for more com­po­sure on the ball, and it was Beaches that seemed to have came out the bet­ter cre­at­ing a good cou­ple of early chances.

The Urunga de­fence led by Ethan Houri­gan held firm un­til Justin Al­ford swooped late in the game to slam home an equaliser.

The sec­onds ticked away and it looked the game was head­ing to ex­tra time when a wide cross came in from Urunga, found a Urunga striker who’s ini­tial shot on goal was bril­liantly saved by Beaches keeper Michael Johns but un­for­tu­nately he couldn’t keep the fol­low up shot from Neaves out with only a minute left on the clock to seal Urunga’s third straight premier­ship. Beaches claim Div 2 The Divi­sion 2 men’s grand fi­nal saw South­side tak­ing on Beaches in what many thought would be a close game and so it was.

South­side took an early lead with an ex­cel­lent goal fin­ished off by mid­fielder Paul Phinn and had the early run­ning with Mark Mills, Keith Camp­bell and Joel Grant lead­ing the way.

The sec­ond half how­ever saw a re­fo­cused Beaches unit come out of the sheds and the mid­field line of Kae­mon Smith, Jonathan Wil­liams and Chris Sharkey started to find space in be­hind the South­side de­fen­sive line.

A well place through ball found Beaches striker Brett Filetti who flicked the ball past Southisde’s keeper Paul Grif­fin for the equaliser.

The game con­tin­ued to see-saw un­til a late penalty cor­ner. A well-worked vari­a­tion from Beaches led to a goal from Chris Sharkey to win 2-1.

TI­TLE TIME: One goal was all Orara Val­ley's Women's Div 3 team needed to beat Urunga in the grand fi­nal.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.