Vegan snag-free sausage rolls
makes / 12 prep / 30 minutes cook / 30 minutes
750g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 5cm pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 star anise
2 tbsp tamari, plus extra, to serve
35g (1⁄2 cup) fresh breadcrumbs
70g (1⁄2 cup) pecans, finely chopped, plus extra chopped pecans, to serve
1⁄3 cup chopped fresh coriander
1 tbsp maple syrup
12 sheets filo pastry
Olive oil spray
1. Place sweet potato and 2 tablespoons of water in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 10 minutes or until soft. Drain and return to bowl. Use a fork to mash until smooth. Cool.
2. Meanwhile heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic and star anise, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the tamari and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until the liquid is almost absorbed. Discard the star anise. Add to the sweet potato and mix well.
3. Add breadcrumbs, pecans, coriander and maple syrup to sweet potato mixture. Season. Mix to combine.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
5. Spray one half of a filo sheet with oil. Fold in half crossways. Place 1⁄4 cup of the sweet potato mixture at the end of the folded filo sheet. Spray the filo with a little oil. Fold in the sides and then roll up to enclose the filling. Place, seam side down, on the prepared tray. Repeat with the remaining filo sheets, oil and filling to make 12 rolls.
6. Spray the rolls with oil. Sprinkle with extra chopped pecans. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden. Serve with extra tamari.