Top tips for cozy outdoor entertaining
The temperature might be dropping, but that doesn’t mean you have to take all the fun indoors
Cooler nights don’t have to mean the end to outdoor entertaining. With just a few tweaks you’ll be cooking up a storm right through the cooler months.
BeefEater Barbecues product manager Despina Sierra said with so many outdoor heating options, cooler weather was an ideal time to set up a cosy outdoor area.
She said roasting a leg of lamb or sizzling a scotch fillet would impress guests and add a winter flavour to any gathering. Here are her easy outdoor entertaining tips for winter:
1. Prepare ahead of time: check the gas level in your barbecue, marinate meat and chop up the vegies so everything is under control as your guests arrive.
2. Preheat the barbecue: allow extra time to preheat your barbecue and limit the number of times you open the lid to check on food. In cooler months, be more mindful of lifting the lid to check the meat as this can cool down the barbecue and extend cooking time.
3. Light up: when it gets dark, create a warm atmosphere with simple lighting. Place candles safely around your outdoor space to instantly provide warmth and light. Outdoor patio heaters and fire pits also provide not just heat, but also light.
4. Plan your space: to create a cosy and comfortable mood for guests, don’t be afraid to place rugs, cushions, blankets or side tables outside. Guests will be happy to mingle and keep their drinks close.
5. Seat it out: provide plenty of seating on the outskirts and make sure chairs, rugs and blankets are not too close to a fire pit or flames.
“With outdoor spaces becoming an integral part of architectural plans and DIY home renovations, with some careful thought and planning, it’s easy to make the most of the outdoors, even in the cooler weather,” Ms Sierra said.