HAPPIEST BABY BOOMERS
New research shows the Baby Boomers are among the happiest generation in Australia.
Findings from the Aveo Positive Ageing Index show almost one in five Australians (19 per cent) in their 60s and 70s ranked their happiness levels as ‘high’ – more than double the number of those aged under 50 (nine per cent).
In addition, almost three quarters of this age group recognised the rich social benefits retirement villages offered such as making new friends, finding a soulmate or seeking out new adventure buddies.
Thelma Whyte from Aveo Albany Creek is one of those Baby Boomers enjoying a happy life, thanks to her positive outlook. She said moving into a retirement community is the “third chapter of her life” having found companionship and a rich sense of community. Here are Ms Whyte’s top five reasons for her contentment:
1. My social circle – Companionship is something I missed after my husband passed. Once you’re on your own, it’s just you and four walls, but since moving into a retirement community, my social horizons have expanded and I have found a sense of contentedness. I’ve also found companionship since meeting Patrick, a fellow resident in the village, and it feels like the third chapter of my life. I love to socialise and that is one of my favourite things about living at Aveo Albany Creek. There is a strong sense of connectedness between residents which creates a feeling of support.
2. An active life – The activities bring everyone together over shared interests. I love the opportunity to socialise with friends doing an activity we enjoy. My favourites are playing a game of bocce or getting to dress up and go to our village happy hour.
3. Safety – At times, living alone makes you feel vulnerable and at risk. Here, I know my neighbours which gives me reassurance. I know that if something was to happen to me or my health, there are people to help.
4. Likability from relatability –I underestimated how refreshing it would be to be around people like me. But I have found that because we are all in a similar circumstance, I have been able to foster strong connections with my like-minded neighbours. We are bonded by our similarities. I met my partner Patrick through our shared love of singing in the village choir.
5. Elevated amenities – Within a short stroll, I can go to the gym, visit the library, swim in the pool, play tennis or watch a movie in the theatre. I always pass a friendly face on my way.
Thelma Whyte lives at Aveo Albany Creek and says she and other residents are bonded by a sense of similarity and community.