300g plain flour 2 tsp baking powder Pinch salt 300g caster sugar 2 tbs cocoa powder 250ml milk 2 eggs, beaten 2 teaspoon vanilla extract 4 tablespoons butter, melted 1 cup good-quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped
1 cup brown sugar 2 tbs cocoa powder 875ml boiling water Additional cocoa powder or icing sugar, optional 150ml thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Grease 6 x 500ml deep-sided ceramic or cast-iron baking dishes.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cocoa together. In separate bowl whisk milk, egg, vanilla and melted butter. Fold into dry ingredients, mixing until smooth. Stir in chopped chocolate.
4. Spoon mixture into chosen baking dish.
5. For sauce: combine brown sugar, cocoa and hot water, then pour over pudding. Bake for approx. 30 minutes. Pudding should have spongey texture on top with a rich fudge sauce base.
6. Pudding is best served immediately, dusted liberally with icing sugar or cocoa powder, with lightly whipped cream on top.
CHEF ’S TIP Pour hot sauce over a dessert spoon so as to not disturb the pudding batter and ensure an even sauce layer.