Half-time schools refers to when two schools shared a teacher. Provisional schools first emerged in 1867. They had at least 15 children but fewer than the 25 required for a public school.
Public schools were the basic elementary school in NSW. They were known as national schools from 1843-66 and as public schools since 1867. Originally the attendance of 30 children was required for the establishment of a school, but this was reduced to 25 in 1867 and 20 in 1880. In 1957, the minimum figure was reduced to nine.