Help for Car­ers Is Avail­able.

The Daily Examiner - - NEWS -

Car­ing for some­one can be both chal­leng­ing and re­ward­ing, and some peo­ple who are in a car­ing role don’t know that respite is avail­able. The UPA have been the ap­proved provider of the CRCC (Com­mon­wealth Respite and Care­link Cen­tre) Gov­ern­ment-funded respite ser­vice for twenty years – since the fund­ing was first an­nounced. Pro­gram Man­ager, Ali­son Laverty, has been at the CRCC for seven­teen of those years and says that often car­ers don’t even know they are car­ers. “It can be that a child is car­ing for their mum with a men­tal ill­ness or an el­derly hus­band car­ing for their wife with de­men­tia. To be el­i­gi­ble for CRCC help, you don’t need to be get­ting a carer pen­sion or al­lowance.” En­quiries don’t need to be from the carer them­selves, they can be from a doc­tor, friend or even fam­ily mem­ber who senses that some­one might need a break. “Be­cause we are an emer­gency ser­vice, we are very re­spon­sive, flex­i­ble and avail­able 24 hours a day. There’s a freecall 1800 num­ber.” “Peo­ple do call at night. The sup­port is for car­ers, so if they are sick, or go to hospi­tal in the night, or a cri­sis hap­pens, we are al­ways avail­able to re­spond to sit­u­a­tions in a very flex­i­ble way.” Ali­son said that the most com­mon CRCC ser­vices utilised are respite to give the carer a break, and that can be go­ing in to the home, out in the com­mu­nity, plac­ing some­one into ap­pro­pri­ate tem­po­rary care, and more. “We also en­sure the car­ers rights are heard and lis­tened to so they feel that they are ac­knowl­edged and their role is sup­ported.” Each case is in­di­vid­u­ally as­sessed. If they can’t meet all needs, they can re­fer to other ser­vices, or re­fer to on­go­ing sup­port. At times the CRCC may ask for a small client con­tri­bu­tion, de­pend­ing on the in­di­vid­ual sit­u­a­tion, but gen­er­ally there’s no set fee struc­ture and the respite comes at no cost to the carer. If you or some­one you know needs help in a car­ing role, you can call the CRCC on 1800 052 222.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.