Tomic misses out on Aussie Open
BERNARD Tomic has followed traumatic Australian Open qualifying defeat by apparently again boasting about his wealth.
“All I do is count my millions, you try doing what I do,” Tomic said after fading to Melbourne Park defeat against unheralded Italian Lorenzo Sonego.
Ranked 218th in the world, Sonego inflicted Tomic’s latest tennis ignominy with a 6-1 6-7 6-4 third-round victory.
Sonego will now contest the first grand slam main draw match of his career, leaving Tomic to contemplate an uncertain future.
Tomic’s comments about money are an echo of his post-Wimbledon boasts last year, when he said: “You probably don’t like me but, at only 24, you guys can only dream about having what I have. End of the day, don’t like me or whatever. Just go back dreaming about your dream car or house while I go buy them.”
Winless at grand slam level since last year’s Australian Open, Tomic (pictured) picked up $30,000 for the Sonego loss.
But his lack of fitness was again a factor in the the three-set encounter. Now doomed to a rankings fall to about No 170 in the world, Tomic’s next obligation might not be tennis.
Network Ten dropped the biggest hint yet Tomic will head to the wilds of Africa as the Queenslander before the Gold Coaster lost to Sonego.
The network has issued a promotional teaser referring to a “tennis star” being “at break point before they know it.”
Australian tennis has been awash with rumours the former No 17 had signed up for the show, which will be televised from January 28 – the night of the Australian Open men’s final.
— Leo Schlink