makes / 4 prep / 20 minutes cook / 35 minutes
Melted butter, to grease Caster sugar, to dust
1 tbsp hot water
1 tbsp instant coffee granules 50g butter
35g (1⁄4 cup) cornflour
70g (1⁄3 cup) caster sugar 250ml (1 cup) milk
150g dark cooking chocolate, finely chopped
3 eggs, separated
Double cream (optional), to serve MOCHA SAUCE:
100g dark cooking chocolate, finely chopped
80ml (1⁄3 cup) thickened cream 1 tsp instant coffee granules Recipe by Michelle Southan Photo by Rob Palmer
1. Preheat oven to 190C. Place a baking tray in the oven. Grease four 375ml (11⁄2 cups) capacity ovenproof souffle dishes with melted butter. Lightly dust with sugar. Combine the hot water and coffee in a jug.
2. Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Cook the cornflour and 3 tablespoons of sugar, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the mixture begins to come away from the side of the pan. Remove from heat. Gradually add half the milk, whisking with a balloon whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk in remaining milk until combined. Place pan over medium heat. Whisk for 3-4 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Whisk in the coffee mixture. Remove from heat. Whisk in chocolate until melted and combined.
3. Add the yolks and stir until combined. Transfer the chocolate mixture to a large bowl.
4. Use an electric beater to beat the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Add the remaining sugar and beat until firm peaks form.
5. Add one-third of the egg white mixture to the chocolate mixture. Use a large metal spoon to fold until just combined. Repeat, in two more batches, with the remaining egg white mixture. Spoon the souffle mixture into prepared souffle dishes.
6. Place souffle dishes on preheated baking tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until puffed and just set.
7. To make the mocha sauce, place the chocolate, cream and coffee in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.
8. Serve souffles with mocha sauce and double cream, if desired.