makes / 8 prep / 30 minutes cook / 40 minutes
Ingredients 100g white chocolate, coarsely chopped 100g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract 130g unsalted butter, chopped
100g (1⁄2 cup) caster sugar 1 tbsp warm water
1 tsp instant coffee
150g (1 cup) plain flour 2 tbs self-raising flour 1 tbsp cocoa
2 tbs Kahlua liqueur 250g mascarpone, at room temperature
60g (1⁄3 cup) icing sugar Cocoa, to dust
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Line eight 80ml (1⁄3 cup) muffin pans with paper cases. Place white chocolate and dark chocolate in separate heatproof bowls. Add milk, vanilla, 50g butter and 55g (1⁄4 cup) caster sugar to the white chocolate. Add water, coffee, and remaining butter and sugar to the dark chocolate. Stir each mixture over a saucepan of simmering water until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.
2. Lightly whisk 1 egg in a bowl and add to the white chocolate mixture with half the plain flour and half the self-raising flour. Spoon among the prepared pans.
3. Lightly whisk remaining egg in bowl and add to the dark chocolate mixture. Stir in cocoa powder and remaining plain and self-raising flour. Spoon over the white chocolate mixture in pans. Bake for 30 minutes.
4. Brush the Kahlua over the warm cupcakes. Cool in the pans.
5. Use an electric beater to beat the mascarpone and icing sugar in a bowl until just smooth. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a small nozzle. Pipe mascarpone mixture over cupcakes. Dust with cocoa powder.