Choc-hazelnut espresso friands
makes / 9 prep / 30 minutes cook / 20 minutes
50g (1⁄2 cup) raw cacao powder
2 tbsp gluten-free cornflour 50g agave sugar
1⁄2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
230g (2 1⁄4 cups) hazelnut meal
40g dark chocolate (85% cocoa), finely chopped 100ml light flavour extra-virgin olive oil 125g (1⁄3 cup) honey 80ml (1⁄3 cup) freshly brewed espresso
5 egg whites
10 hazelnuts, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease nine 110ml capacity friand tins and line with strips of baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang.
2. Sift the cacao, cornflour, sugar and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the hazelnut meal and half the chocolate. Stir to combine. Make a well in the centre.
3. Combine the oil and honey in a heatproof bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds or until honey is runny. Stir in the espresso. Use a balloon whisk to whisk the egg whites until just frothy.
4. Add the oil mixture and whites to the well in the cacao
mixture. Gently fold to combine.
5. Divide among prepared tins. Sprinkle with sliced hazelnuts and remaining chocolate.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in tins for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.