Hit man’s decision a big miss
A CANBERRA man punched in the head by a Venezuelan skier in a bitter dispute with the nation’s embassy has labelled it a “disgrace” the winter sportsman escaped a conviction yesterday.
The 71-year-old, who owns two properties in Canberra that the Venezuelan embassy has rented for 18 years, was punched in the head by cross-country skier Cesar Augusto Baena Sierraalta last month when a long-running dispute over the embassy’s unpaid rent turned physical.
Sierraalta was placed on a good behaviour order for 18 months yesterday, but had no conviction recorded against him. The landlord told The Saturday Telegraph, in his opinion, the decision was “weak” and a “disgrace”.
He said Mr Sierraalta should have been given a conviction: “That’s what he deserved.”