Junior footy investigation
Talks after player hit by adult
A SIX-HOUR meeting into an alleged junior football assault “helped immensely” in the investigation into the incident which shook the state’s largest junior competition.
Southern Tasmanian Junior Football League executive officer Tony Gibson said the marathon meeting with the New Norfolk and Lindisfarne clubs was a major step forward in the investigation.
It is alleged a Lindisfarne player was struck while on the field by the parent of a New Norfolk player soon after the final siren in a match at Tynwald Park on June 25.
Officials from junior clubs to the highest level of state football have condemned any acts of violence in and around the game.
The father of the boy who was allegedly hit, who did not wish to be named, said the game had finished and both teams came together to shake hands.
“A bit of pushing and shoving broke out among a number of boys and then a number of parents decided to jump in and pull kids out,” he said.
It was at this point his son, who he said had been playing junior footy for eight years, was allegedly struck and an ambulance was called.
The STJFL launched an investigation and Thursday night’s meeting was the biggest step forward so far.
“What happened at the meeting will form part of the investigation, so I can’t com- ment on that,” Gibson said.
“We made good progress being able to gather the information from both parties. The clubs co-operated. It helped immensely.”
The investigation is ongoing.
“We’ve still got a few more interviews that we need to do,” Gibson said.
“Not necessarily with those clubs. Other people who were at the venue — other witnesses.”
Clarence joined Kingborough Tigers in voicing concerns about playing games against New Norfolk.
The Roos’ junior president Nigel Isaac said to his players, parents and members in a Facebook message: “Violence in any aspect needs to be addressed and taken very seriously.”
The STJFL investigation could be completed by the end of this week.