In­quest told of high care need

The Gazette (Derwent Valley) - - NEWS -

AN in­quest into the death of an el­derly woman housed in a near-freez­ing ship­ping con­tainer has been told she needed high-level care.

Janet Mack­ozdi, 77, died of hy­pother­mia in July 2010 while spend­ing one night sleep­ing in the con­verted con­tainer at her daugh­ter and sonin-law’s Mount Lloyd prop­erty.

Five years later, Jassy Anglin and hus­band Michael Anglin were con­victed of Ms Mack­ozdi’s man­slaugh­ter.

An in­quest into her death is ex­am­in­ing broader is­sues of el­der abuse and whether her fam­ily with­held care in­ten­tion­ally and de­pleted her money for their per­sonal use.

Yes­ter­day, the in­quest heard from a so­cial worker who gave an aged care as­sess­ment of Ms Mack­ozdi the year be­fore her death, af­ter she’d frac­tured her neck.

So­cial worker Mer­ri­lyn Orr found she needed “a high level of care” and as­sis­tance eat­ing.

Ms Orr said it was her opin­ion that 24-hour care was re­quired even af­ter Ms Mack­ozdi’s neck brace was re­moved. She had de­men­tia and mo­bil­ity prob­lems and weighed just 40kg.

She was placed in a bed in the ship­ping con­tainer on a July night in 2010 as the fam­ily’s di­lap­i­dated hut was full of boxes from mov­ing house.

It is es­ti­mated the tem­per­a­ture dropped to as low as 0.1C overnight. Her body was found the next morn­ing.

The Anglins drove her to Royal Ho­bart Hos­pi­tal, but they ini­tially claimed she had died on a road trip to Mount Field Na­tional Park.

On Mon­day, Con­sta­ble Ni­cholas Monk told the in­quest the con­verted ship­ping con­tainer had inch-wide gaps around the door.

“The win­dows and doors didn’t fit cor­rectly to al­low for the ship­ping con­tainer to be sealed,” he said on the open­ing day of the in­quest.

Ms Mack­ozdi’s fi­nan­cial plan­ners, as well as doc­tors, health staff and friends and fam­ily, are ex­pected to give ev­i­dence to the in­quest.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.