Flood report views sought
LOCAL councils have been asked to submit responses to the recommendations of a report from the independent review into Tasmanian floods after devastating flooding in June-July last year.
The report by AuditorGeneral Mike Blake was released on June 5 after eight months.
Premier Will Hodgman said the review was generally positive but there was still room for improvement.
“Overall, Mr Blake has found that the response of all levels of government, emergency services and the community to the floods was generally robust,” Mr Hodgman said.
“However, with the benefit of hindsight it is clear that the overall response could be improved for future events in some areas.”
Police, Fire and Emergency Management Minister Rene Hidding praised emergency responders and the wider community.
“While this period in the state’s history was tragic and devastating, it was also a fine example of the people of Tasmania pulling together,” he said.
Key findings included: HYDRO cloud seeding had “no impact on precipitation”, with this finding having a “solid scientific basis”. THE State Government should undertake a comprehensive assessment of flood mapping in Tasmania. THE SES align their community education programs, sharing resources with the Tasmanian Fire Service. THE Government should establish a central Flood Policy Unit. THE Department of Premier and Cabinet should become the standing Recovery Management Authority. WHILE it “may be” that the state and local governments under-invest in flood mitigation, a lot more work is required to understand whether measures such as additional flood levees are appropriate.
The response to the Huonville floods in July was an example of “effective planning, preparation and collaboration that other flood management authorities should learn from”.
Peter Watson, 63, of Scottsdale, Mary Allford, 75, of Latrobe, and Trevor Foster, 81, of Ouse were killed in last year’s torrential floods. Mr Foster’s body has not been found.
Submissions were accepted until August 18.