Local woman’s needle shock
A NEW Norfolk resident says she felt sick to her stomach when she found a bloodstained sharps collector on the side of a road near where children regularly play.
Jess Shoobridge had just posted some letters in Hobart Rd last week when she turned around and saw the container on the ground near her front yard.
“I went and had a look to see what it was exactly and once I realised what it exactly was I thought ‘oh no, I had better get rid of it, get it out of harm’s way of the kids’,” Miss Shoobridge said.
“Where I live there are many families with young kids, our neighbour has a 14-monthold and we have a 15-monthold. It’s a very family-oriented area.”
Miss Shoobridge went inside her house and got a plastic bag to use as a glove before picking the container up, taking it inside, and placing it in a bucket still in the bag.
She then handed it over to the Derwent Valley Council.
“I felt sick to my stomach, I actually thought ‘who could leave something like that there, endangering other lives’,” she said.
Miss Shoobridge said she had heard of other needle-related incidents in New Norfolk recently.
Derwent Valley Council general manager Greg Winton urged people to dispose of sharps responsibly.
“Sharps such as needles, syringes, picks, barrels and lancets pose a risk of injury for anyone who may come into contact with them if they are not disposed of correctly,” Mr Winton said.
“Sharps should always be placed in an appropriate sharps container with rigid walls, which is resistant to puncture and is sealed or securely closed.”
Mr Winton said the council provided sharps collection containers in its public toilets.
“The containers are securely fastened within metal units to ensure they remain in place until they are collected by council staff as part of regular cleaning and maintenance schedules for the toilet facilities,” he said.
”Health facilities, pharmacies and doctor’s surgeries also hold sharps containers which may be accessed for sharps management. It’s advisable to contact the facility before taking sharps for disposal.”
Sharps containers can also be purchased from the Derwent Valley Council.
The containers are in a number of sizes for different needs.
People may purchase a container which will be disposed of safely and at no charge by the council once the container is filled.