Market set to continue
NEW Norfolk’s High St Market looks sets to stay after the Derwent Valley Council allocated $55,000 to the running of the market in the 2018-19 budget announced last week.
The market was initially given license to operate in High St on Saturdays for a trial period of between three and six months in September last year.
The first market was held in November.
One of the recommended conditions of approval for the continuation of the “temporary mall” was that an expression of interest document calling for submissions to run the market be produced by the council by June 30.
That period has since expired and the EOI was deferred at June’s council meeting.
But $55,000 was allocated to the market in last week’s budget, for operating costs and for infrastructure to be installed.
Derwent Valley Mayor Martyn Evans said the EOI was deferred because councillors wanted more information about the criteria.
“That will go back up and then we’ll put that out as an EOI,” he said.
“But when you start talking about streets and street closures, and [putting] bollards in High St to facilitate that, you need to have a figure in the budget.”
Cr Evans said the council committed to the continuation of the market because of positive feedback from a survey.
“Community and businesses and stallholders had the opportunity to buy in and it was overwhelmingly in sup- port of the market,” he said.
Cr Evans said the $55,000 council put aside in the budget was also a contingency for the transition of the market to a new operator.
“If need be when there’s a shortfall in between times of taking over the mark from operator to operator, we may have to step in,” he said.
“We’ve got to make sure we are factoring in having a member of staff putting out signage, putting out bollards, doing different things and there is a cost attributed to that.”
Cr Evans said there were no plans for the council to run the market in the long term.