Hold on to your hats as road-tests the top 10 mostloved rides you too can experience at Gold Coast theme parks
5. GREEN LANTERN COASTER, MOVIE WORLD: Thrillseekers can experience the steepest inverted drop on a roller-coaster in Australia.
1. GIANT DROP, DREAMWORLD: This scream machine is the winner in the white-knuckle stakes where height equals fear.
After a vertical ascent of 119m, the build up to the free fall is beyond terrifying.
4. BUZZSAW, DREAMWORLD: This ride is the highest you can hang upside down in the southern hemisphere. At the peak you are dangled 15 storeys in the air, before free-falling through a 360-degree heart roll and plummeting to the ground at speeds of up to 105km/h. Scary stuff.
2. SUPERMAN ESCAPE, MOVIE WORLD: Rocket towards the sun then pitch and dive for the rest of the roller-coaster.
This ride goes from 0 to 100km/h in a mindspinning two seconds.
You’ll scream, you’ll laugh, and you’ll experience 760m of vertical climbs and weightless drops.
3. TOWER OF TERROR, DREAMWORLD: Be blasted out of a tunnel and climb 115m, then tumble down the drop backwards at speeds of up to 160km/h. It’s almost an out-of-body experience, as you feel like you left your insides behind after the initial blast.
Plummet face forward at 66km/h on the 120degree inverted drop. Two inverted spins round out the extreme journey.
8. THE WIPE OUT, DREAMWORLD: Feel like you’re being tossed around an angry ocean in a small boat. The shaking, spinning, and inverted motion will make you dig your fingernails in to hold on for dear life.
6. THE CLAW, DREAMWORLD: It’s like swinging on a pendulum of a giant grandfather clock reaching speeds of up to 64km/h.
Although there are 90 terrifying seconds of hang time, it’s around the middle of the pack on the fearfactor scale.
7. ARKHAM ASYLUM, MOVIE WORLD: The 17-year-old Lethal Weapon coaster has been revamped and now reaches speeds of up to 85km/h, pulling 4.2Gs.
9. JET RESCUE, SEA WORLD: Zoom around the track on a jet ski coaster.
It’s fast, reaching speeds of 70km/h, but there are no inversions, so it’s suitable for younger riders.
10. SHOCKWAVE, DREAMWORLD: A new addition. Not as scary as some, but one of the most enjoyable. It spins guests around as they move up and down a simulated surging wave.