Tips for an action-packed getaway
1. FAMILY FRIENDLY Do some internet research and find some family friendly parks that offer children’s facilities, or base yourselves near some great family attractions that will become an exciting part of the holiday.
Talk about where you are going as a family and get the children involved in the research and planning.
2. PREPARE Write lists in advance of what you’re packing and stick them somewhere visible, especially what to bring and food lists.
Once you are away from your dayto-day routine you will be glad you put a lot of effort into your luggage.
3. FUN The general plan is to have as much fun as possible even when things don’t go to plan.
Rain can be a challenge, but children are adaptable, so pack some travel games, cards and books.
If a planned attraction is closed, be flexible and find the nearest information centre for ideas.
4. RELAX There isn’t any need to jam-pack a million activities in one day, just roll with it and the family will enjoy things more.
Just because everyone else is heading to the beach or the playground, it doesn’t mean your kids have to. Go at your own pace and do what suits your family.
5. GOOD FOOD A holiday is not the time or place to start a weird diet or health kick.
Before you shop, ask everyone in the family what favourite meal they would like and try to slot it in somewhere.
Stock up on delicious good food, but buy plenty of snack food to keep everyone happy.
6. EXERCISE Pack a soccer ball, tennis racquets or fishing rods and enjoy the outdoors with the people you love most.
Choose a destination with plenty of walking tracks, or one that is close to the beach.
Interacting with each other as a family is what your holiday should be about and it’s easy to do.
7. RECORD HOLIDAY Whether it’s with words or photos, there are many ways to preserve your holiday for years to come.
Every night before the kids go to bed, get them to draw or write about their day.
Collecting mementos is another fun idea and they will end up as holiday treasures when you get home.
Pack healthy food when on holiday, but don’t forget the marshmallows.