HOW MEDALS ARE MADE FOR THE GAME
EVER wondered how a medal is created?
More than 1500 medals will be produced by the Royal Australian Mint for the GC2018 podium presentations. Here is a snapshot on how it’s all done.
● The medal design is engraved into a punch using a computer-controlled machine. The creates what is called a medal die.
● A circular metal blank is placed into the Royal Australian Mint’s largest coin press.
● The medal dies are used to punch the blanks of gold, silver and bronze.
● The medals are all struck four times to ensure the design is fully formed.
● All medals undergo inspection to ensure they meet the quality requirements. This is the process the Royal Australian Mint uses for coins.