Par­sons Green tube bomb: po­lice ar­rest sec­ond man

The Guardian Australia - - Headlines - Caro­line Davies

A sec­ond man has been ar­rested by de­tec­tives in­ves­ti­gat­ing the ter­ror­ist at­tack that in­jured 30 peo­ple on a Lon­don Un­der­ground train on Fri­day.

The 21-year-old man was ar­rested in Houn­slow, west Lon­don, at about 11.50pm on Satur­day in con­nec­tion with the ex­plo­sion at Par­sons Green sta­tion, the Met­ro­pol­i­tan po­lice said.

A search is tak­ing place at a res­i­den­tial ad­dress in Stan­well, Sur­rey, in con­nec­tion with the ar­rest.

He was de­tained un­der sec­tion 41 of the Ter­ror­ism Act and taken to a po­lice sta­tion in south Lon­don where he re­mained in cus­tody on Sun­day, the force said.

An 18-year-old man was ar­rested in the de­par­ture area of Dover port ear­lier on Satur­day in con­nec­tion with the at­tack. Armed po­lice launched a raid on a prop­erty in Sun­bury-on-Thames, Sur­rey, on Satur­day in re­la­tion to the bomb­ing. As many as 60 homes in the area were tem­po­rar­ily evac­u­ated as a pre­cau­tion, po­lice said.

Res­i­dents said the prop­erty be­ing searched by po­lice was oc­cu­pied by a cou­ple who were known for fos­ter­ing many chil­dren and young peo­ple over sev­eral decades and in 2010 were made MBEs.

The cou­ple, Ron­ald Jones, 88, and his wife Pene­lope, 71, who were hon­oured for ser­vices to chil­dren and fam­i­lies, are said to be stay­ing with friends fol­low­ing the po­lice raids.

One friend, Ali­son Grif­fiths, told the Press As­so­ci­a­tion the cou­ple had been fos­ter par­ents for al­most 40 years and had taken in up to 300 chil­dren, in­clud­ing eight refugees, and had an 18-year-old and a 22-yearold stay­ing with them re­cently.

Af­ter the im­pro­vised de­vice ex­ploded at 8.20am on Fri­day, 30 peo­ple re­ceived med­i­cal treat­ment, many for flash burns.

Counter-ter­ror­ism of­fi­cers are lead­ing the in­ves­ti­ga­tion sup­ported by MI5. A key strand of the in­ves­ti­ga­tion has fo­cused on CCTV to es­tab­lish where, when and by whom the de­vice, which is un­der­stood to have been fit­ted with a timer, was placed on the train.

Am­ber Rudd, the home sec­re­tary, said it ap­peared the bomber was not a lone wolf but that it was “too early to reach any fi­nal con­clu­sions on that”.

Asked if she could give any in­for­ma­tion on claims by Is­lamic State that there were other un­ex­ploded de­vices, she told The An­drew Marr Show on BBC1: “It is in­evitable that so-called Is­lamic State, or Daesh, will reach in and try and claim re­spon­si­bil­ity. We have no ev­i­dence to sug­gest that yet.”

Rudd said £24m of new gov­ern­ment money was go­ing to­wards counter-ter­ror­ism op­er­a­tions across the coun­try.

Asked if po­lice cuts had hit an­titer­ror op­er­a­tions, she said: “I think it is too sim­ple to ap­proach it like that. What we have is an on­slaught of at­tacks from Daesh try­ing to rad­i­calise peo­ple.”

The ter­ror threat re­mains at crit­i­cal – the high­est level. The Met’s se­nior na­tional counter-ter­ror­ism co­or­di­na­tor, Neil Basu, said on Satur­day po­lice were “keep­ing an open mind around whether more than one per­son is re­spon­si­ble for the at­tack”.

He said 121 wit­nesses had been iden­ti­fied, of which 100 had been spo­ken to by of­fi­cers by Satur­day af­ter­noon. Of­fi­cers were con­tin­u­ing to trawl through many hours of CCTV footage and more than 180 videos and pho­to­graphs sent to them by the public fol­low­ing an ap­peal, po­lice said.

A pas­sen­ger walks onto the plat­form at Par­sons Green sta­tion af­ter it was re­opened fol­low­ing the ter­ror­ist at­tack. Pho­to­graph: Tim Ireland/AP

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.