Time to straighten up, Tobruk
THE Queensland Government will receive an ex-HMAS Tobruk post-scuttling dive survey from Birdon contractors in coming days.
It comes after calls for the ex-Navy ship to be uprighted after it landed on its starboard side during the scuttling process last month. A Department of Environment and Science spokeswoman said such a process would be depend on a number of factors.
“Righting or par-buckling the wreck is a very complex and highly weather dependant operation,” she said.
“The department are working with contractor Birdon to assess all available options to ensure ex-HMAS Tobruk is a safe, world-class dive.”
An ex-HMAS Tobruk dive operator said he believed the wreck should be righted after a dive trip of the former naval vessel on Thursday.
Currently lying on its side in Great Sandy Marine Park, 25 nautical miles off the coast of Hervey Bay, ex-HMAS Tobruk was intended to be a worldwide diving hot spot.
Dive operator Brett Lakey said officials had been willing to assess every option.
“Parks and the contractors have been very, very willing to help and assist getting me out there to dive with the other operators,” he said.
Mr Lakey said he believed what he saw during his dive of the wreck was a glimpse of a promising future for the wonky wreck.