No farm­ers, no food

The Northern Star - Northern New South Wales Rural Weekly - - News - TRI­CIA AGAR Bush Kids Face­book

OUT in ru­ral Aus­tralia, off the high­ways and by­ways, on the roads less trav­elled, live 3% of Aus­tralians who are ba­si­cally un­no­ticed, un­der-rated and eas­ily for­got­ten, ex­cept they pro­duce the food­stuffs that keep the bel­lies of the other 97% fed. Or in­deed they used to, un­til free trade agree­ments took over and changed the shelves of the gro­cery stores, so they now re­sem­ble a gath­er­ing of the United Na­tions, and you must play a game of “spot the Aussie” and scan the la­bels in the slim hope of find­ing some­thing ac­tu­ally grown and pro­duced in Aus­tralia.

It is not be­cause the Aus­tralian farm­ers are no longer pro­duc­ing enough to sup­ply their fel­low Aus­tralians the sub­stance of life, but rather, most of the lo­cal pro­duce is be­ing shipped over­seas, as fast as the mid­dle men can whip it out of the farm gate.

You could be ex­cused if you thought farm­ers must be liv­ing high on the hog, on the back of all this ex­port­ing of Aus­tralian agri­cul­tural prod­ucts, to meet an ever-in­creas­ing de­mand from over­seas cus­tomers, but sadly this is not the case.

Aus­tralia is awash with red and green tape, which is straight out of the “bu­reau­crat’s man­ual for sub­ver­sion of a na­tion”, and which is be­ing aided and abet­ted by the an­i­mal and en­vi­ron­men­tal ac­tivists and their Marx­ist cli­mate change agenda, which is be­ing leg­is­lated into the lives of ev­ery Aus­tralian at ra­pid­ity that de­fies any logic, and con­se­quently send­ing Aus­tralia broke.

With all of this, it makes you won­der why any­one would want to be in agri­cul­ture.

There are still the tena­cious few, who cling on in the hope to­mor­row will be the start of a turn­around back to an Aus­tralia that en­cour­aged pri­mary pro­duc­tion, cel­e­brated in­no­va­tion and cham­pi­oned com­mon sense.

An Aus­tralia that knew what it was to be hun­gry, and val­ued the peo­ple who grew the food and fi­bre, and trusted them, as they knew the only thing that stood be­tween them and pos­si­ble star­va­tion, was the fam­ily farmer.

I per­son­ally feel that Aus­tralia is now in a very vul­ner­a­ble po­si­tion, when a mea­gre 3% of the en­tire Aus­tralian pop­u­la­tion, who have the skills and generational knowl­edge, grow the food and fi­bre for the na­tion and in­creas­ingly the world, but who are un­der con­stant at­tack from those who wish to see Aus­tralia weak­ened and de­fence­less, un­able to feed it­self, be­holden to for­eign coun­tries for our food. For­eign coun­tries see the value in our farm­ing and graz­ing lands. They are buy­ing it up hand over fist to en­sure their own food se­cu­rity, or else are min­ing it for our fine qual­ity coal or tap­ping into the coal seam gas re­serves to fuel their own cook­ing fires, leav­ing Aus­tralia gasp­ing for en­ergy.

Along with the loom­ing re­al­ity of our GAB be­ing poi­soned through CSG min­ing and the strip­ping of the aquifers of ir­re­place­able and life-sus­tain­ing wa­ter, and us­ing it as a waste residue, agri­cul­ture is un­der sus­tained at­tack. We need to take back the power and refuse to be driven into a cor­ner from which there is no es­cape.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.