Chaotic end to Christ­mas

Daugh­ters watch on as dad re­peat­edly as­saults mum

The Observer - - NEWS - Sarah Barn­ham sarah.barn­ham@ glad­sto­neob­

WIELD­ING a 30cm-long knife, a Glad­stone man charged at his wife of 30 years… but he didn’t stab her.

Just at the last mo­ment, he dropped the knife and punched her in the face in­stead.

This scene was just one of many the Glad­stone man’s two adult daugh­ters had to watch, as he beat down on their mother in a vi­o­lent act of rage.

The man, who can­not be named, pleaded guilty in the Glad­stone Mag­is­trates Court to one count of a do­mes­tic violence pro­tec­tion or­der breach and one count of com­mon as­sault.

The court heard that on Box­ing Day po­lice and paramedics were called to a New Auck­land ad­dress where the man, his wife and their two adult daugh­ters were.

At about 2am the man got into bed and laid down next to his wife, the court heard.

A fight broke out be­tween the pair; the man be­gan to yell at his wife threat­en­ing to “cut her throat” the court heard.

His wife got up and left the room with her hus­band quick to fol­low be­hind.

He be­gan to bang on the door of the room one of his daugh­ters was sleep­ing in, yelling abuse the whole time.

The man went down into the kitchen and grabbed the kitchen knife, he held out in front of him and be­gan to walk quickly to­wards his wife.

In­stead of us­ing it on her, he dropped it at the last mo­ment and used his open palm to punch her in the face caus­ing her to fall to the floor. He grabbed her and pulled her up, but she broke free and ran to­wards the bed­room.

Af­ter lock­ing the front door of the house, he be­gan to chase her, yelling out: ‘you’re not go­ing any­where, you sl*t.”

He chased her around the house be­fore she ran out­side through the front door, which one of his daugh­ters had since un­locked.

The man punched his wife in the face twice us­ing an open palm, still yelling abuse. His daugh­ters tried to in­ter­vene, how­ever, called the am­bu­lance upon their mother tak­ing two blows to the face.

The woman, sit­ting on the front steps of the house, called out to her daugh­ters, but her hus­band told her to “shut up” and said he would “knock her out”.

Both an am­bu­lance and po­lice ar­rived on scene, and the man de­nied any phys­i­cal violence.

He was ar­rested and spent 136 days in cus­tody, the court heard.

De­fence lawyer Lau­ren Townsend said her client was re­leased on bail for the of­fend­ing on May 6.

She said the cou­ple had been sep­a­rated for six months, how­ever there was a chance for rec­on­cil­i­a­tion be­tween the two.

The part-heard sen­tence was ad­journed for men­tion in Au­gust 25.

Glad­stone Mag­is­trate Me­lanie Ho said she wanted fur­ther sub­mis­sions from both de­fence and pros­e­cu­tion in re­gards to sen­tenc­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.