Fireys’ warn­ing on BBQs

The Observer - - NEWS -

FIRE­FIGHT­ERS have is­sued a warn­ing to the public af­ter a bar­be­cue caught fire.

Glad­stone fire­fight­ers re­sponded to re­ports of a shed blaze at Glen Eden yes­ter­day af­ter­noon where they found smoke bil­low­ing from a shed.

The house owner and neigh­bour had fought the fire with a hose and an ex­tin­guisher.

When fireys ar­rived, they en­tered the shed and ex­tin­guished the flames.

The source of the fire was a We­ber bar­be­cue.

Fire­fight­ers de­ter­mined the We­ber’s gas valve had been switched off.

“We ruled out (a prob­lem with) the ig­ni­tion,” Mr Smith said, adding that the bar­be­cue had last been used a cou­ple of days be­fore.

“I’m of the be­lief there was some residue, still some burn­ing ma­te­rial smoul­der­ing, pos­si­bly in the tray that catches the fat,” he said.

“It fi­nally got go­ing with this hot weather and the rest of the bar­be­cue caught fire.”

Sta­tion of­fi­cer Smith warned peo­ple to make sure they cleaned their bar­be­cues in this hot weather reg­u­larly to en­sure there was not a build-up of fats and residue.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.